[Dovecot] Sieve and LDA

Vincent Bernat bernat at luffy.cx
Mon Jan 29 20:26:48 UTC 2007

Hello !

I  have started  to use  Sieve support  in LDA.  From the  RFC  a same
message should not be delivered twice in the same folder :

,----
| 2.10.3. Message Uniqueness in a Mailbox
|

|    Implementations SHOULD NOT deliver a message to the same folder more
|    than once, even if a script explicitly asks for a message to be
|    written to a mailbox twice.
|
|    The test for equality of two messages is implementation-defined.
|
|    If a script asks for a message to be written to a mailbox twice, it
|    MUST NOT be treated as an error.
`----

Dovecot seems to ignore this "SHOULD  NOT" or am I missing something ?
At first,  I thought  they were  speaking of case  where there  is two
idententic "fileinto" directive in the ruleset. Something like :
 fileinto "box";
 fileinto "box";

But, I don't think that they  would they "the test for equality of two
messages" with such a trivial case.

Maybe dovecot  should maintain  a list of  recent message-id  seen for
each user (with the associated mailbox).
--
I WILL ONLY DO THIS ONCE A YEAR
I WILL ONLY DO THIS ONCE A YEAR
I WILL ONLY DO THIS ONCE A YEAR
-+- Bart Simpson on chalkboard in episode 3F31