[Dovecot] Sieve and LDA

Vincent Bernat bernat at luffy.cx
Tue Jan 30 20:43:17 UTC 2007

OoO Lors de la soirée naissante  du mardi 30 janvier 2007, vers 18:19,
"Mark E. Mallett" <mem at mv.mv.com> disait:

>> ,----
>> | 2.10.3. Message Uniqueness in a Mailbox
>> |

>> |    Implementations SHOULD NOT deliver a message to the same folder more
>> |    than once, even if a script explicitly asks for a message to be
>> |    written to a mailbox twice.
>> |
>> |    The test for equality of two messages is implementation-defined.
>> |
>> |    If a script asks for a message to be written to a mailbox twice, it
>> |    MUST NOT be treated as an error.
>> `----
>>

> I have interpreted this to mean that within a single delivery (e.g. a
> single invocation of a script for a particular message), the implementation
> should take care to de-duplicate requests to file into folders, so that
> attempts to file multiple times to a folder within that single script
> execution should be thwarted.  Your last sentence makes it seem that you
> are thinking that the prohibition spans multiple script invocations
> (e.g.  for different  deliveries), but  I don't  believe  that's the
> intent.

Well, with a single invocation, the sentence "The test for equality of
two messages is implementation-defined." is a non-sense since messages
cannot be  modified. This  is why I  think that the  prohibition spans
multiple script invocations.
--
BOFH excuse #120:
we just switched to FDDI.