[Dovecot] Looking for IMAP maintenance tools

Anand Buddhdev arb at anand.org
Tue Jan 30 23:43:23 UTC 2007

Jens Knoell wrote:

> Hi

Hi Jens,

> I'm currently prowling for some IMAP tools to help me maintain our
> mailboxes. I'd prefer "pure" IMAP, i.e. no messing with file system
> directly, but would settle for more crude ways if need be.
>
> Specifically I am looking for:
> - Expunge tool: Outlook does not seem to auto-expunge messages in any
> way shape or form. So I'd like to run a daily cron to expunge all
> mailboxes. - Quota helper: Some way to send a warning email once a day or
> so, saying "you're close to your quota limit, please delete some mail" or
> somesuch

If you use Maildirs, you can use maildrop as your delivery agent, and use
its '-w' option which will place a warning message into a user's mailbox
when they are approaching their quota limit.

The cone mail client (written by the author of Courier-IMAP) comes with a
tool called mailtool (I think that's the name, but the name's not
important). It's a full-featured IMAP client which you may be able to use
against your Dovecot server to do a nightly clean-up of old messages, for
example. You'd probably need to use Dovecot's "master user" feature, so
that you can log into any user's account using this command-line tool.

You can get both these packages from http://www.courier-mta.org/

--
Anand