[Dovecot] Thunderbird : open() failed with index file /home/XYZ/mail/.imap/Trash/dovecot.index: Not a directory

Charles Bueche charles at bueche.ch
Thu Mar 1 12:13:07 EET 2007

On 1 mars 07, at 11:48, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 11:15 +0100, Charles Bueche wrote:
>>> Mar  1 10:50:35 ZZZ dovecot: [ID 107833 mail.error] IMAP(XYZ): open
>>> () failed with index file /home/XYZ/mail/.imap/Trash/dovecot.index:
>>> Not a directory
>
> So, which part of the path is not a directory? .imap/ or .imap/
> Trash? It
> most likely means just that you've some extra file there lying around
> that should have been a directory.

Hi Timo,

stupid me, I didn't even look at the filesystem. "Trash" is a file,
so dovecot can't create Trash/dovecot.index

I checked my own folder structure, and "Trash" is a file as well.

There is something I don't understand here. Who tries to create this
dovecot.index file ? Given the name, it must be dovecot, right ? So
why don't we have the issue with Apple Mail ? Does dovecot act
differently depending on the client ?

TIA,
Charles