[Dovecot] Thunderbird : open() failed with index file /home/XYZ/mail/.imap/Trash/dovecot.index: Not a directory

Charles Bueche charles at bueche.ch
Thu Mar 1 12:41:54 EET 2007

On 1 mars 07, at 13:19, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 13:13 +0100, Charles Bueche wrote:
>>

>> stupid me, I didn't even look at the filesystem. "Trash" is a file,
>> so dovecot can't create Trash/dovecot.index
>>
>> I checked my own folder structure, and "Trash" is a file as well.
>
> But it's a file inside .imap/ directory? What does it contain? It
> shouldn't exist there. Hmm. Although it looks like it's possible to
> create it by creating eg. ".imap/Trash" mailbox. I'll make it give an
> error if that's tried to be done..
>
>> There is something I don't understand here. Who tries to create this
>> dovecot.index file ? Given the name, it must be dovecot, right ?
>
> Right.
>
>> So
>> why don't we have the issue with Apple Mail ? Does dovecot act
>> differently depending on the client ?
>
> Have you set ".imap" as the IMAP namespace prefix in other clients (or
> in Apple Mail)? Or do you have different mail location paths given for
> different users?

We are close. In ~/mail/.imap/, there are a few directories
containing 3 files :

dovecot.index
dovecot.index.cache
dovecot.index.log

and a single file ~/mail/.imap/Trash

As it is a file, the 3 dovecot index files cannot be create within.
That's the reason for the error, clearly.

The question is why we have this ~/mail/.imap/ stuff.

I see a file ~/mail/.subscriptions, containing the folders present in
~/mail/, plus ".imap/Trash". This would explain why dovecot tries to
index it, and then fails.

The buggy entry is probably there since long, and then, for some
reason, dovecot exhibits the issue only with Thunderbird.

I will ask my user to remove the ".imap/Trash" from .subscriptions,
and retest. This will only be this evening, he is now out for his LPI
level 2, so can't be reasonnably be disturbed. I will report when
tests done.

Charles