[Dovecot] Deleting when Over Quota

Daniel Watts d at nielwatts.com
Thu Mar 1 13:01:17 EET 2007

Hi All,

I've read a bit about this but don't really see a full solution
anywhere. Has anyone actually got a good fix for this?

Telling a user they are over quota then not allowing them to delete
anything does seem the height of perversion. =)

Question is - is this even a problem for the IMAP server? Or should the
MUA be detecting over quota problems and then issuing the right commands
to delete messages WITHOUT the copy to Trash?

Lastly - even if it is the MUA's responsibility - will Dovecot not still
have a problem with indexes? I suspect perhaps not if:

A. When using FS Quotas you store the indexes in a non quota partition
B. When using other quotas (dirsize / maildir++), Dovecot does not count
the index files when counting up the usage.

Is B true?

Best wishes,
Daniel