[Dovecot] user_global_uid - tricky to set

Alexej Davidov alexej.davidov at gmx.net
Thu Mar 1 21:02:39 EET 2007

Hola!

Dovecot should serve virtual mail users. So I've set user_global_uid
and user_global_gid in dovecot_ldap.conf to vmail/vmail. Also I've
commented auth the user_attrs field. Still Dovecot tries to switch to
the uid that is defined in the LDAP entry.

It took me some time to figure out, that the only way to prevent this
is to set
user_attrs = foo=uid,bar=gid
or something like this, so Dovecot doesn't have a chance to find the
uid/gid. Still it will perform some LDAP lookups.

In my oppinion, Dovecot shouldn't try to get the uid/gid from LDAP if
the user_attrs field is undefined.

I'm using Dovecot 1.0rc24 on Debian sid.

Regards,
A.