[Dovecot] 1.0rc25: double INBOX folder (weird)

Troy Engel tengel at fluid.com
Fri Mar 2 00:19:22 EET 2007

Let me start off by saying the initial cause was *not* a Dovecot bug. :)

If you have the default namespace "INBOX." (Courier emulation mode from
the Wiki) and an actual folder in your ~/Maildir/ with INBOX in the name
(~/Maildir/.INBOX.Miami), then Dovecot presents them both to the client
as the real Inbox in Thunderbird:

Account
   Inbox (3)
     Drafts
     Sent
     INBOX (3)

...where (3) is me representing a new email account; if you click on
either INBOX folder (parent or child) they show the same contents of the
single Inbox. It was really confusing until I figured out the Maildir
was messed up on the backend.

Sometime back in 2004 the Courier-IMAP server let one of my (dovecot)
testers create a folder called .INBOX.Miami; until the 1.0rc25 upgrade
we never even knew it was there - it has been invisible this whole time.
I can only assume that a bug in Courier allowed that folder to be
created in the first place, I'm not bothering to track it down.

Once I upgraded to 1.0rc25 this morning all the sudden there it was --
obviously not Dovecot's fault for putting it there and it was easy
enough to fix by hand, but I thought I'd report it in case it exposed
some logic gap in the code. If nothing else Dovecot shouldn't have
duplicated the INBOX view to the client, and instead just showed it as a
regular folder - yes?

-te

--
Troy Engel | Systems Engineer