[Dovecot] 1.0rc25: double INBOX folder (weird)

Troy Engel tengel at fluid.com
Sat Mar 3 17:13:36 EET 2007

Timo Sirainen wrote:

> Pre-rc25 was buggy in handling that INBOX.INBOX.box case, but as far as
> I know now it works as IMAP protocol requires it to work:

OK I think I have new info -- 1.0rc25 "breaks" the Wiki migration and
upgrade process that works with rc24 and earlier; I just logged onto my
own account from home, and I now have a double INBOX in my Thunderbird.

A courier-imap migration changes this:

courierimap-subscribed:

   INBOX
   INBOX.Trash
   INBOX.Sent

...into this:

subscriptions:

   INBOX
   Trash
   Sent

pre-rc25 this was working perfectly; I had one Inbox as intended. If you
look at the courier2dovecot.sh script everyone uses, this is a 'proper'
conversion:

find $dir -name subscriptions -print0 | xargs -0r sed -i 's/INBOX\.//'

So, what I have now is a phantom INBOX in my Thunderbird with rc25;
there is no actual folder .INBOX in my ~/Maildir/, but it is listed in
my subscriptions file. So visually in TBird I see the contents in both
Inbox and Inbox->INBOX now.

Obviously the fix is easy, delete the phantom INBOX from my
subscriptions; however, this seems to point at rc25 code changes not
being backwards compatible with all the previous migrations (what if you
had migrated 1000 mailboxes? Oh the horror :)) and should probably be
addressed somehow.

Maybe rc26+ should "fix" a phantom INBOX for the user? (listed in
subscriptions but not actually present on disk)

-te

--
Troy Engel | Systems Engineer
Fluid Inc. | http://www.fluid.com