[Dovecot] user_global_uid - tricky to set

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Mar 6 20:53:05 EET 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 19:32 +0100, Alexej Davidov wrote:
> > Commenting out user_attrs is the same as setting it to the default
> > value. Setting "user_attrs =" should have worked. However if you don't
> > want userdb LDAP lookup at all, use userdb static instead.
>
> I want to use ldap for authorization. The entries just happen to
> contain a uid field, which should not be used for file access, though.

Yes, but using passdb ldap is enough for authentication. You don't want
to use LDAP as userdb. Just remove userdb ldap {} and add:

userdb static {
  args = uid=vmail gid=vmail
}

> I tried again with "user_attrs =" and strange enough the error is now
> different:
> Mar  6 19:11:52 myhost dovecot: imap-login: Internal login failure:
> user=<foo at bar.net>, method=PLAIN, rip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,
> lip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, TLS
> Mar  6 19:11:52 myhost dovecot: child 9966 (auth) killed with signal 11

Looks like that's a bug and the empty user_attrs didn't do what I
thought it did. Fixed:
http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot-cvs/2007-March/007949.html