[Dovecot] Config questionsabout various login parms

Stewart Dean sdean at bard.edu
Tue Mar 6 23:05:38 EET 2007

I'm currently runing UW-IMAP (compiled vanilla) with procmail and mbox
and am making my usual careful crawl (at turtle speed) through figuring
out DC config.  Some questions:
a)  I have something like 3-4 root imapd sessions so I presume that the
default *login_processes_count* = 3 will be OK.  I'm less clear about
login_max_processes_count and login_max_connections = 256.  A common
enough heavy load has something like 275 unique users accessing imap and
600 imapd processes.  Suggestions?
I'm beginning with no SSL, KISS.
b) If I set login_process_per_connection =no, would the number of users
accessing imap be the same as the number of imapd sessions?
c) login_process_size is confusing/intriguing.  If there are 500
processes, the default of 32MB means 16GB (the box has 12GB).  OTOH,
what about the big players with a 400 MB inbox...will they be able to
open their inbox with the default
d) login_max_connections ditto...I shouldn't think that an individual
user would conceivably have the default of 256, except
pathologically....or is this applied to the listening imapd root processes.

Thanks in advance for your help and patience.........

--
====
Stewart Dean, Unix System Admin, Henderson Computer Resources