[Dovecot] Config questionsabout various login parms

Mike Brudenell pmb1 at york.ac.uk
Wed Mar 7 18:56:07 EET 2007

On 7 Mar 2007, at 16:21, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> If you're not using SSL then after user has logged in, the login
> process
> knows nothing about the user anymore and it's free to serve another
> user.

And if you are using SSL?  (Which, I'm sure, Stewart will get to in
time)...

If I remember other postings correctly then the login process does
know something about the user: it acts as a proxy, passing data
through from the IMAP client to the imap server process (and
presumably back again?).

Is that right?  ... If so, then this was where the "Too many open
files" problem arose in an earlier thread (the stdio library on
Solaris defaulting to only allow 256 descriptors, or something).

Like Stewart, I'm doing the slow turtle-speed crawl and don't have
SSL in place yet.  But when I get that far one of the things I have
on my checklist is to verify I can open more than 256 SSL connections
to the server at a time: potentially we'll need 1,000-2,000 at a time
as use of IMAP over SSL increases.

Cheers,
Mike B-)

--
The Computing Service, University of York, Heslington, York Yo10 5DD, UK
Tel:+44-1904-433811  FAX:+44-1904-433740

* Unsolicited commercial e-mail is NOT welcome at this e-mail address. *