[Dovecot] Dovecot vs Couir-IMAP

Marshal Newrock marshal at idealso.com
Fri Mar 9 04:58:43 EET 2007

On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 08:34:36 +0800
Erdenebat Gantomor <rklogin at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm the beginner for IMAP/POP3 servers. I'm starting to use Dovecot.
> But I'm confusing between Courier-IMAP and Dovecot. Anyone tell me
> some quick tips regarding this issue. What's the better and what's
> the worst thing comparing these two IMAP/POP3 servers? I think the
> Dovecot is good enough for security and performance issue over
> Courier. Is it right? And how about the feature comparision?

A while back, I was trying to configure Courier to use a MySQL
database.  It wasn't working, and I couldn't figure out why.  After a
bit of head-scratching, I decided to try the new thing that everyone
was talking about, Dovecot (which was then at version 0.99).  It still
didn't work, but it told me why, and within an hour, it was working.  :)

As an added benefit, with postfix 2.3 or later (or a patched postfix
2.2), it replaces Cyrus SASL for SMTP authentication, and is vastly
simpler to configure.

I don't think the Courier configuration is terribly complicated, but I
also don't recall it having quite so many features as Dovecot.  Which
is certainly not to say that Dovecot configuration is in any way
complicated.

--
Marshal Newrock
Ideal Solution, LLC - http://www.idealso.com