[Dovecot] "ldap_result() failed: Can't contact LDAP server" log messages

Joseba Torre joseba.torre at ehu.es
Fri Mar 9 14:49:35 EET 2007

Hi,

I'm also getting some of these;  exactly, I get one everytime I reconnect. For
example, yesterday I closed my kmail and shutted down my PC:

Mar  8 18:49:02 imap-server dovecot: IMAP(myself): Disconnected: Logged out

And this morning I reconnect:

Mar  9 08:06:02 imap-server dovecot: auth(default): LDAP: ldap_result()
failed: Can't contact LDAP server
Mar  9 08:06:02 imap-server dovecot: imap-login: Login: user=<myself>,
method=PLAIN, rip=10.0.4.25, lip=10.0.2.30, TLS

El Viernes, 9 de Marzo de 2007 13:15, Timo Sirainen escribió:
> On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 11:57 +0000, Mike Brudenell wrote:
> >    passdb:
> >      driver: ldap
> >      args: /usr/local/etc/dovecot-ldap-passdb.conf
> >    userdb:
> >      driver: ldap
> >      args: /usr/local/etc/dovecot-ldap-userdb.conf
>
> Is there a reason why these config files are separate? That causes it to
> create two LDAP connections. If you used the same config file it would
> create only one LDAP connection.

I suppose he read this from the example dovecot-ldap.conf:

# If authentication binding is used, you can save one LDAP request per login
# if users' DN can be specified with a common template. The template can use
# the standard %variables (see user_filter). Note that you can't
# use any pass_attrs if you use this setting.
#
# If you use this setting, it's a good idea to use a different
# dovecot-ldap.conf for userdb (it can even be a symlink, just as long as the
# filename is different in userdb's args). That way one connection is used
only
# for LDAP binds and another connection is used for user lookups. Otherwise
# the binding is changed to the default DN before each user lookup.

I think this is a bit misleading; in most cases, one single file and one
single connection would be a better idea IMHO.

Aaaaaaaaaagur.
--
Joseba Torre. CIDIR Bizkaia.