[Dovecot] Prayer, Maildir and Folders whose names begin with "."

Mike Brudenell pmb1 at york.ac.uk
Fri Mar 9 19:35:18 EET 2007

Greetings -

I think I've just had one of my fears confirmed: not Dovecot-specific
exactly, but it affects how we will use of Prayer (Webmail Software)
with Dovecot...

Currently our production service uses MBX-format mailboxes with the
UW IMAP server; we also use the University of Cambridge "Prayer"
software for Webmail.

By default Prayer saves its preference settings, address book and so
on in a regular IMAP folder called ".prayer"  And one of the nice
things about the UW IMAP server is that you can tell it not to
include files whose names start "." when returning the list of
folders for a LIST command.  This means:

   * People don't see the secret ".prayer" folder when they look at
the list;
   * But if something (eg, Prayer) knows its name it can open this
folder to
     get at its content.

The combination of these is that (a) Prayer can store its settings
and (b) users don't see where, so can't open/tamper with the secret
settings folder for Prayer.

But I've just discovered that I can't create a folder called
".prayer" using Maildir-format mailboxes.  The problem appears to be
the leading "."  I suspect it's because the Maildir++ specification at
     http://www.inter7.com/courierimap/README.maildirquota.html
says this:

 > Folders are created as subdirectories under the main Maildir. The
name of
 > the subdirectory always starts with a period. For example, a
folder named
 > "Important" will be a subdirectory called ".Important". You can't
have
 > subdirectories that start with two periods.

A folder named ".prayer" would lead to a subdirectory being created
called "..prayer" I think.

Q.  Can anyone confirm that you can't create Maildir folders called
     ".somename"?

Q.  Are there any other Prayer users out there using Dovecot and Maildir
     format mailboxes?  What are you doing about the user-settings
folder
     for Prayer?  (And do you manage to hide it from view, so they can't
     tamper with its contents?)

Cheers,
Mike B-)

--
The Computing Service, University of York, Heslington, York Yo10 5DD, UK
Tel:+44-1904-433811  FAX:+44-1904-433740

* Unsolicited commercial e-mail is NOT welcome at this e-mail address. *