[Dovecot] pre-1.0.rc27: Index and mbox fixes

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Mar 11 19:00:01 EET 2007

I think I replied with http://wiki.dovecot.org/LoginProcess

> ...with all the notes about security ans so forth. The question is
> though what's a best recommended practice for efficiency and speed? What
> I'm wondering is that most clients like ThunderBird spawns multiple
> threads, which cause multiple logins. Typically 3-5 per user on TBird.
>
> So would it be correct to say that 50 people logged in at once would
> have ~150 login-auth procs running in order to get work done?

Right.

> At what
> point is a small tradeoff in security worth the recovery of CPU and
> process space?

You can decide that. :) I don't think the login processes take all that
much memory. As for CPU usage it looks like my machine can handle about
130 logins/second with login_process_per_connection=yes and 1200/sec
with =no. You can try that yourself with my imaptest tool (see the mail
I wrote last night) with parameters "- select=0".

> If one login proc is already running for the first thread 'user=tengel',
> do the subsequent threads re-use that same proc instead of launching
> another?

No. One process per connection. There's really no way to know what user
is logging in before he does it. Of course it could maybe be possible to
move the SSL proxying to another login process of the same user, but
that's probably a bit too much trouble.