[Dovecot] Quota and Trash

Bernhard Schmidt berni at birkenwald.de
Mon Mar 12 15:49:59 EET 2007

Hi,

I finally got a grip on our mail guys to try out Dovecot after they
started migrating a ~15k user mailsystem to Maildir+NFS (Netapp)+Courier
and the performance was not as good as expected. So far the results are
impressive, although there are of course a few small issues to be
solved.

One is the current Quota handling, which they use with Courier IMAP and
(still) think it needs to be replicated 1:1 to dovecot.

Currently they use maildir++ quota format. Mails moved to Trash get not
included in the Quota calculation (standard "feature" of Courier IMAP)
and get expunged after a certain period of days (IMAP_EMPTYTRASH).

Is there any way we could replicate this behaviour with Dovecot? Not
including mails in the Trash-folder into quota calculation seems to be a
no-go to me according to the documentation, you can ignore the quota
limit when copying messages into a certain folder with the "ignore"
keyword but they are still included.

This issue is directly related with the second one. Deleting old mails
in Trash could be archieved with the expire-plugin, but that does not
work with Dovecot v1.0, and I'd definitely want to run this. So I have
to use "find", which deletes the mail from the folder. However, those
mails are still included in the Quota calculation, so that will very
likely become incorrect.

Is there a generic recommendation for a tool that could be used to
rebuild maildir quota calculations? Any other ideas how I could solve
this problem and have dovecot behave like Courier here?

Thanks,
Bernhard