[Dovecot] index performance issues

Mon Mar 12 22:23:59 EET 2007

John Lyons wrote:
>> I would say that considering it normal that the partition storing the
>> indexes would routinely fill up and require deleting all indexes is wrong.

> I appreciate that being in a position where the indexes are corrupt is not
> good but then there may be unavoidable reasons why they become out of sync
> or corrupt.

Thats not what you said - you said the disk *filled up*, after which you
chose to delete *all* of the indexes, causing *all* of them to have to
be rebuilt. This (deleting *all* indexes) is very different from just
isolated, occasional corruption of an index or three, causing just
*those* indexes to have to be rebuilt (trivial).

> If we add a new pop/imap server to the cluster is it to be expected that
> we'll have the service down for 5 or 6 hours while the new server creates
> indexes and chews through 100mbit of network capacity in the process?

Not sure why this would be the case... why would bringing a new box into
an *existing* cluster cause all of the indexes to have to be rebuilt?

Maybe I'm missing something obvious? It wouldn't be the first time... ;)

--

Best regards,

Charles