[Dovecot] Search not working?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Mar 12 22:46:27 EET 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 12:57 -0700, Marc Perkel wrote:

> >> I switched for mbox to maildir last night and now searching
> folders
> >> isn't working. Getting a timeout. Is there something I might have
> >> forgot to configure?
> >
> > There are no settings related to that. How large mailboxes do you
> > have? It could simply be that maildir is slower to search than mbox
> > because the OS needs to open/close a lot more files.
> >
> > strace would show what IMAP process is doing:
> > http://wiki.dovecot.org/Debugging/ProcessTracing
> >

> That may be it. Search works on small folders. But I need to search
> the
> big folders. What can I do to keep it from timing out? I expected it
> be slower, but thought it would still work.

Searching is slow, there's really nothing currently that can be done in
Dovecot's side to make it faster. In CVS HEAD there does exist support
for full text search indexes which makes the search fast, but you
probably don't want to use CVS HEAD yet.

I think your only option for now is to increase the timeout setting in
your client, if there exists such.