[Dovecot] Alerts and pre-authenticated connections

Mike Brudenell pmb1 at york.ac.uk
Tue Mar 13 18:01:57 EET 2007

Greetings -

Work moves onward here at setting up our Dovecot IMAP service and
I've got a couple more questions, I'm afraid...  :-}

Q1.  The UW IMAP Server supports "pre-authenticated connections" --
does Dovecot?

Specifically, it is possible to create a symlink from /etc/rimapd to
the UW IMAP server binary and then use rsh or ssh from within the
Pine mail client to execute that on the server to establish the IMAP
connection:

   rsh imap.york.ac.uk /etc/rimapd

Pine uses this to open a "pre-authenticated" connection to the UW
IMAP server to avoid the user having to enter their username and
password -- the rsh/ssh mechanism provides the IMAP server with the
user's login name.

I've grepped the Dovecot source but it looks like it doesn't support
this.  Am I right in thinking this?

Q2.  The UW IMAP Server can issue "IMAP Alerts"

The UW IMAP server can issue a sequence of one-line notices to mail
clients using IMAP's ALERT mechanism.  The notices are formed formed
from each line in a systemwide file (if non-empty) and a per-user
file (~/.imapalert).  Many, but by no means all, mail clients display
these notices to the user -- currently we use this mechanism to
advise people who have totally run out of mail quota.

I've grepped the Dovecot source for "alert" but it looks like the
IMAP Alert mechanism isn't supported.  Am I right in thinking this?

Cheers,
Mike B-)

--
The Computing Service, University of York, Heslington, York Yo10 5DD, UK
Tel:+44-1904-433811  FAX:+44-1904-433740

* Unsolicited commercial e-mail is NOT welcome at this e-mail address. *