[Dovecot] Newbie index infrastructure and location questions

Stewart Dean sdean at bard.edu
Wed Mar 14 20:38:40 EET 2007

I've been lurking for a year or more and am now actually bringing
Dovecot up (it seems that any time I make a serious effort at this,
something else falls in the pot and I have to give it up yet again).
Index questions:
I understand the indices should be placed in a non-file-system-quoted
place.  I have in mind to create /var/dcndx
1) Roughly how much space do indices take up (so I can size space for a
directory for them)?  I have 4000 users, average mbox inbox size is
5.5MB (totalling 22GB), the number of messages/user mailbox I'd guess to
average around 100 and go as high as 5000.  They have maybe as much as
3x times space and messages in folders, though I guess the average is
about half that of INBOX
2) I'm clear that DC will automagically create the index files, but
a) do I have to create a subdirectory for each user, ex: /var/dcndx/user1
b) Is there one index file theat handles a user's mailbox and folders or
a separate one for each?

--
====
Stewart Dean, Unix System Admin, Henderson Computer Resources