[Dovecot] Newbie NFS question

Stewart Dean sdean at bard.edu
Wed Mar 14 21:52:46 EET 2007

As is usually the case, I'm not sure enough of what the DC docs are
referring to; there are some implicit info assumptions that I, the
Newbie, miss...

Anyway, here is my situation

Dovecot is to run on one machine only, its index files are stored in on
a separate, non-quotaed, not NFS filesystem.
INBOX and folder filesystems (all mbox format) are native to this
machine and are NFS exported to three machines with root access.  NFS
access can be NFS V2, or 3 or 4.
1) a user maintenance server that may add or delete users and their
INBOXES/folders
2) a mailing list server that writes mailings email to the NFS mounted
file system of user INBOXes
3) A user login machine where the users may access their INBOXes and folders
All machines are running vanilla IBM AIX; I have never known there to be
corruption from NFS locking problems, and am not aware of any
locking/caching parameters for AIX's NFS implementation.  All machines
are running NTP synched to a common NTP master server

My questions:
1) Since my index files are stored in on a separate, non-quotaed, not
NFS filesystem, can I correctly assume this means I can ignore the
nmap_disable and lock_method parms?
2) The docs say:
> The easiest way to get better performance without caching problems is
> to just make sure the user is always redirected to the same server. If
> you can manage to do that, then it's safe to enable attribute caching.
The INBOXes and folders live on the mail server where
a) DC is going to run and
b) they are exported to the three other machine.
Does this mean that I don't have to mess with actimeo?
3) Pardon my ignorance....Is actimeo set on the NFS server as an
attribute of exportation or on the NFS client on the imported FS...or both
4) Is there any reason related to data integrity or performance to
prefer NFS V2 or 3 or 4?
5) Are there other questions I should ask of IBM about NFS client and
Server daemon config

Thanks in advance...........

--
====
Stewart Dean, Unix System Admin, Henderson Computer Resources