[Dovecot] Postfix+Dovecot+LDAP

Troy Engel tengel at fluid.com
Thu Mar 15 19:58:41 EET 2007

Timo Sirainen wrote:

> Yes, http://wiki.dovecot.org/PasswordDatabase/PAM explains what it does
> and why it might not be a good idea. Although no-one has yet reported
> any success/failure stories, those are all my own guesses..

I gotcha, makes sense having read it. Now I'm back on the fence, as I'll
want to research the status of these PAM/nss_ldap memory leaks that
might occur if we set it to blocking=yes.

It seems like the choice is to be asynchronous and possibly run into a
user collision on the file descriptor (percentage chance, anyone? 2%?
5%?) or to use a synchronous/blocking pipeline at the expense of never
releasing the PAM code (sic) and possibly leaking memory.

Here comes my "I am not a real programmer" thought -- there really is no
way for dovecot-auth's forked child processes to set up their own unique
descriptor? Maybe an alternative way of doing the fork? Just pondering...

-te

--
Troy Engel | Systems Engineer
Fluid, Inc | http://www.fluid.com