[Dovecot] unable to connect to auth server

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Mar 16 17:25:18 EET 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-16 at 09:57 -0500, Steven F Siirila wrote:
> Upon rebooting our Dovecot server, I got these:
>
> Mar 16 09:49:16 peridot.tc.umn.edu dovecot: [ID 195972 local6.info] Dovecot v1.0.rc27 starting up
> Mar 16 09:49:18 myhost.mydomain dovecot: imap-login: Can't connect to auth server at default: Connection refused
..

> However, everything does work okay.  I believe we ran into this once before
> and reported it and I had thought Timo fixed it.  It seems that imap-login
> and pop3-login attempt to connect to the auth server before it is fully
> operational.  I don't recall what the fix was supposed to change, but it
> doesn't seem to have fully fixed it.
..
> login_processes_count: 32

I think the problem is simply that all the 32 imap-login and 32
pop3-login processes are created at once and they all connect to
dovecot-auth at the same time.

Hmm. Actually there exists code to retry the connecting for one second,
but I'm only checking against EAGAIN (which pretty much never happens).
It should check also for ECONNREFUSED:
http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot-cvs/2007-March/008214.html