[Dovecot] Best way to migrate from Qpopper to Dovecot

David Robillard david.robillard at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 20:23:56 EET 2007

> we did nearly the same procedure the last time we switched from an old
> Qpopper maschine to a new Qpopper maschine.
> The last time we had not so much users (maybe 16000), not so much data
> (round about 20Gigs) and there was no need of conversion.
> This time we have new DNS-Names, new environment (Dovecot) and so on.

That should not pose any real problems :)

> So David, may I ask you how long did it take to convert the data?

We used a cross-link cable between the two machines to transfer the
data over their gigabit link. Both systems had three 10k rpm SCSI
disks in hardware RAID 5 which pushed data at around 20 mb/s. That
took around 20 minutes.

Now for the migration script, that took about 1:30 hours to run on a
single Intel Xeon 2.80GHz.

Cheers,

David
--