[Dovecot] invalid mbox

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Mar 21 20:14:35 EET 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 16:45 +1100, Marc Lucke wrote:
> dovecot-1.0-1.1.rc15.fc6
>
> When I attempt to drag spam from one IMAP box to another it tells me
> that I have an invalid mbox format for some emails.  Occasionally too
> when I click on that email box it gives me the same error.  uw-imapd
> never gave me those problems.
>
> I use Thunderbird 1.5.0.10 and have the same problem on Windoze XP and
> MacOSX.
>
> Can I and how do I solve this problem?

Look at what that mailbox contains. It should begin with a valid "From "
mbox line. If it doesn't, Dovecot gives that error. UW-IMAP didn't give
an error, it just opened the whole file as a single mail.

Now as for why it wouldn't contain a valid "From "-line, I don't know.
There were bugs related to this in Dovecot 0.99, but as far as I know
there are none in 1.0rcs. Either you have some other software breaking
it somehow, or you have locking problems (see
http://wiki.dovecot.org/MboxLocking)