[Dovecot] corrupted transaction log error resulting in multiple deliveries

Justin McAleer justin at fehuq.com
Thu Mar 22 14:09:39 EET 2007

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 10:36 -0400, Justin McAleer wrote:
>
>> rm -rf /var/indexes/*
>> rm -rf /var/mailstore/.../Maildir (for the test account)
>> send test message
>> rm -rf /var/mailstore/.../Maildir
>> send test message (corruption error, temporary failure to postfix, but
>> message delivered)
>>

> This is what happens with me:
>
> deliver(tss): Mar 21 21:03:59 Error: Corrupted transaction log
> file /tmp/index/.INBOX/dovecot.index.log: Append with UID 1, but
> next_uid = 2
>
> The next delivery says:
>
> deliver(tss): Mar 21 21:04:05 Error: Transaction log
> file /tmp/index/.INBOX/dovecot.index.log: marked corrupted
> deliver(tss): Mar 21 21:04:05 Error: Transaction log
> file /tmp/index/.INBOX/dovecot.index.log.2: marked corrupted
>
> But doesn't give temporary failure. And the 3rd and so on work without
> any errors at all.
>
> Or is this what you meant? I thought it never stopped giving errors with
> you.
>
> Anyway, this should fix it completely:
> http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot-cvs/2007-March/008261.html

I just pulled the latest nightly, and now it doesn't even give the
transaction log error. So, looks like this did the trick.

Just to try to clarify what I was seeing though, I wasn't sending
multiple test messages (after failure began). It gave the transaction
log error, delivered the message, and postfix deferred delivery due to
the tempfail. So, the same test message was getting delivered to the
maildir every time postfix attempted redelivery. I guess I never went
more than 3 delivery attempts, but all three attempts, at the same
message delivery, resulted in dovecot errors, delivery to inbox, and
tempfail returned to postfix.

But like I said, not a peep out of dovecot with the latest nightly.