[Dovecot] multiple instances of dovecot on one machine

Marshal Newrock marshal at idealso.com
Fri Mar 23 17:49:21 EET 2007

I was trying to run two instances of dovecot on the same machine, each
listening on a single IP.  The problem I ran into was that each time
one was started or restarted, the other stopped responding.  I saw the
following in the logs:

Mar 23 00:02:27 sentinel dovecot: Dovecot v1.0.rc27 starting up
Mar 23 00:02:27 sentinel dovecot: Socket already
exists: /var/run/dovecot/dict-server

After I saw that, I commented out the dict section and quota from the
plugins.  The second line disappeared, but I could still only get one
dovecot listening at a time. In the end, I went back to a single dovecot
listening on all IP's, and found another way to do what I was trying to
do, so all is still working for me.  I'm guessing I'm the first person
to try to run two dovecots on one machine.

Actually, I should clarify: there was also a third, listening to
none on localhost, but there only for the lda process.  The auth socket
was set to /var/run/dovecot/auth-master.  And this also was not
accepting connections while the others were running.

--
Marshal Newrock
Ideal Solution, LLC - http://www.idealso.com