[Dovecot] Copy to sent mail timeouts

Jeff Tucker jeff at jltnet.com
Fri Mar 23 22:10:32 EET 2007

Hi. I'm running the dovecot IMAP that comes with Ubuntu Edgy, which is
1.0rc2. I realize this is old, but I'll ask my question in case anyone
knows about this problem and how to fix it, or knows that a later
version definitely fixes it.

What I'm seeing is that the IMAP server works perfectly, except for
occasional timeouts when the user sends an email with attachments,
causing that email then to be copied to their sent mail folder. The
behavior seen is that Thunderbird, for instance, will say it is copying
to the sent mail and the progress goes up to 100%, but then stops and
Thunderbird eventually says the action timed out. I don't see anything
in any dovecot logging and the file does not appear in the sent mail.

I don't have any other kind of timeout issues. I can move mails around
folders, read large emails, or whatever. The problem seems worse with
large emails, but some times it will copy 15 MB emails and some times it
won't. I can't find that any particular email always fails.

Any ideas? As a last resort, I'll build the latest rc from scratch, but
I like the automatic installation, notification of security problems,
etc. I get with the distro packages.

Thanks
Jeff