[Dovecot] Unexpected behaviour when deleteing a big mailbox

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Mar 24 01:30:07 EET 2007

On 23.3.2007, at 19.40, Timo Sirainen wrote:

>>> Are you using ext3? I just found a bug in it that could cause
>>> this with
>>> large maildirs.
>>
>> Timo, you (and others) may well consider this off-topic, but would
>> you
>> mind telling us more about this ext3 bug? I have some very large ext3
>> filesystems (not maildirs) and am concerned.
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.ext4/1334

So not a bug after all, just something I had never heard of before.
This makes my duplicate fixing code pretty difficult to do correctly.
I guess I'll go remove it completely then, it's not like anyone else
does it either. :) Then again, if there do exist duplicates, it
starts giving annoying error messages.

Of course duplicates shouldn't normally happen either, but they do
with maildir_copy_preserve_filenames=yes and stress testing.. I guess
I'll leave this fix post-v1.0.