[Dovecot] MANAGESIEVE patch v3 for dovecot 1.0.rc28

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Mar 26 23:12:16 EEST 2007

On 26.3.2007, at 22.59, Stephan Bosch wrote:

> I coined this in my previous e-mail: if the master process could
> provide some means of dynamically registering new process types
> (protocols), e.g. through plugins, it should not be difficult to
> incorporate this managesieve implementation in dovecot-sieve
> entirely. Also, this plugin solution could be implemented/
> complemented by your single-login-process idea.

Yea. Although I think this will have to wait for Dovecot v2.0 which
has my rewritten master/config code. There the master process really
doesn't know anything about different protocols, they're all
configured in a config file.

The settings are also distributed in the code where they're used,
instead of everything being in one place. However currently there
still exists a generated all-settings.c so that the config file
parser knows what settings are valid. I haven't really figured out
yet how this could be made to work with external programs.. I don't
really like the idea of having a "settings configuration file" :)
With plugins it could dynamically load them and get the settings
structures directly, but I'm not sure about binaries. Perhaps each
binary could have a "--dump-settings" option.

BTW. I'm also planning on adding a new protocol to Dovecot some day
in an external package: http://icecap.irssi2.org/