[Dovecot] ignoring some subfolders [potential wishlist]

Arkadiusz Miskiewicz arekm at pld-linux.org
Wed Mar 28 20:21:55 EEST 2007

On Wednesday 28 of March 2007, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On 28.3.2007, at 11.49, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote:
> > tpop3d allows me to say:
> > maildir-ignore-folders: Spam Trash trash Sent sent-mail POP3-Invisible
> > (would be stupid to fetch own sent-mail via pop3 again 8-)
>
> POP3 has only one mailbox, so what does it do to non-ignored folders?
> Does it merge all of them into one virtual POP3 INBOX?

tpop3d has a option

maildir-recursion: yes

that makes it merge all subfolders in one virtual inbox. Very nice and usefull
thing.

With additional
maildir-ignore-folders: Spam Trash trash Sent sent-mail POP3-Invisible

and proper MTA settings spams goes to POP3-Spam subfolder  but user can change
things and MTA will start deliver to Spam folder (which is invisible via
pop3) so user simply chooses whether he wants or not to see spam emails etc.
User can still use imap based webmail or connect to imap and see other,
pop3-ignored folders.

> With Dovecot the POP3 shows only the one real INBOX's contents. Some
> day in future there will be support for virtual folders, and if you
> need POP3 to show more than just the real INBOX then you can create a
> virtual INBOX.

Uh, recursive subfolders is basic functionality that I unfortunately need :-\
I'll look into sources to see how much work is needed then.

--
Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz        PLD/Linux Team