[Dovecot] Version numbering

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Mar 29 02:05:13 EEST 2007

On 29.3.2007, at 0.03, Frank Cusack wrote:

> On March 28, 2007 4:35:50 PM -0400 John Peacock
> <jpeacock at rowman.com> wrote:
>> What this model does is to make many more small releases (no more
>> RC129),
>> each with a stable feature set.
>
> I don't see how that's different than a/b/rc numbering.  You can still
> cut as many releases as you like.
>
> 1.1.0
>  1.2.0b1
>  1.2.0b2
>  1.2.0rc1
> 1.1.1
>  1.2.0rc2
>  1.2.0rc3
> 1.2.0
>
> And of course concurrently you can have 2.0{a,b,rc}.

I think I like this. 1.1.alpha1 -> alpha2, etc. contains the actual
new feature development. Once the major features seem to be finished,
1.1.beta* releases come. Then one or two 1.1.rcs and finally 1.1.0
release. So pretty much the same as how Dovecot v1.0 was done, except
this time the beta/rc switches won't happen too early. :)

I don't think packaging is going to be that big of a problem. If the
packagers can't handle that, then just don't package it. Development
versions don't really need binary packages anyway.. And for those
using the binary packages, the alpha/beta/rc in the version make it
pretty easy to understand what kind of a release it is.