[Dovecot] Version numbering

Thu Mar 29 18:30:23 EEST 2007

>> This is *server* software. If someone is not capable or willing to do
>> the research to know what the difference between the packages available
>> are, *regardless* of what numbering scheme Timo settles on, then they
>> have no business running a server and/or deserve what they get if they
>> do so anyway...

> Yep, and the people who don't look both ways before crossing the street
> deserve to be run over, so don't bother breaking for them.  Just smash
> them, they deserve it!

Exactly! But seriously - I don't see this as a valid comparison.

> Let's face it, the world is full of stupid and ignorant people, and in
> the spirit of ultruism we should try to help them.

But you don't cripple yourself in the process. Accepted best practices
should be more than enough 'help' for those who are competent to run
their own server.

As for people who dig themselves in a hole due to laziness/ignorance
and/or incompetence - well, the people on this list are by far the most
courteous I have met when it comes to people asking questions that they
would get shot down in flames for if asked on the courier-imap or
postfix lists, so anyone who does come asking for help, will simply have
their error politely pointed out to them, complete with recommendations
on how to remedy their problem, no?

By the way - what is 'ultruism'? At first I thought it was a typo, but
you did it twice... ;)

--

Best regards,

Charles