[Dovecot] locking question

Stewart Dean sdean at bard.edu
Thu Mar 29 21:30:35 EEST 2007

There are three applications that have their mitts on files on my mail
server, which is running AIXV5.3 and UWIMAP and mbox format.  The mail
folders and INBOXES are native to that machine, but also are NFS
exported to a login server and a mailing list server.  All three
machines are running the lockd daemon.

Everybody wants to lock differently
1) procmail (delivering for sendmail), which seems to want to use
dotlocking, fcntl and lockf locking; for whatever reasons, the compile
time tests seem to disallow flock.
2) UWIMAP which according to wiki.dovecot.org/Migration/UW uses:
mbox_read_locks = flock
mbox_write_locks = dotlock flock
3) I want to run dovecot in the same environment as I switch over, for
which the locking strategy is supposed to be (according to
http://wiki.dovecot.org/MboxLocking)
mbox_read_locks = fcntl
mbox_write_locks = dotlock fcntl

Since that same page in the wiki says. "*It's important that all
software that's reading or writing to mboxes use the same locking
settings.",* I had recompiled procmail so it only usedotlocking and
fcntl (thus removing lockf in addition to the disallowed flock)...but
now I bumped into the Migration/UW page and there looks to be a conflict.

I want to be able to run dovecot (for testing) and UWIMAP (for all
users/production)  at the same time (but never at the same time with the
same mailbox), but UWIMAP is doc'ed to use flock and Dovecot doesn't
It's conceivable that the different locking strategies of UWIMAP and
Dovecot don't matter because they would never be going after the same
mail files (right?) but there is procmail, which has to interact with
both.  It appears to not use flock OK, even though the docs say it
should since UWIMAP expects it, and I've disabled lockf as well.  But
will there be a conflict with procmail and dovecot's use of fcntl, which
UWIMAP doesn't use?

Help.
*
*

**

--
====
Stewart Dean, Unix System Admin, Henderson Computer Resources