[Dovecot] 1.0.rc29 released

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Mar 30 19:35:40 EEST 2007

On 30.3.2007, at 19.23, Geert Hendrickx wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 05:47:30PM +0200, Robert Schetterer wrote:
>> HI Timo,
>> you added the wiki in txt format to the docs dir,
>> this again brokes my suse spec *g
>
> What annoys me more (as dovecot maintainer for pkgsrc) is that the
> example
> config file changes with (almost) every release.  The changes are
> mostly
> just in comments, but it makes users have to merge their
> configuration on
> every update.

I hate how badly the configuration file updating works everywhere
(well, or at least in Debian). If the changes don't really change any
existing settings and won't conflict with the modified parts of the
config file, there's no need to ask anything about merging.

Why couldn't it work by doing a diff of the old and new default
config files, and then try to patch the changes into the current
config. If the patch succeeds, that's your new config. Of course if
the new config file really changes existing defaults, it shouldn't do
this without asking.