[Dovecot] 1.0.rc29 released

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Sat Mar 31 02:05:55 EEST 2007

--On Friday, March 30, 2007 3:24 PM -0700 Frank Cusack
<fcusack at fcusack.com> wrote:

>> This is why I'm still using 0.99. The RC's still look like betas and I
>> have no idea which one (if any) is less a regression than any other.
>
> They ARE betas.  That's no reason to stay with 0.99.  It's effectively
> beta as well.

In principle, a "release candidate" should be a gamma. It should be
effectively ready for release, and distributed to check for awful
show-stoppers.

Is 1.0rc29 stable enough to replace 0.99 from Fedora? Will I suddenly have
a bunch of angry users seeing things break?

1.0.rc1 was released in June. Here's a quote from the release message for
rc11 (November 4):

> Hopefully the last RC release? As far as I know there are no major
> problems left now. If nothing big shows up, v1.0 should be out in a
> couple of weeks.

In rc27:

> A few new small features and lots of index/mbox fixes. I've been heavily
> stress testing this release, so I think it should be about perfect. :)

*Features*?! In an rc?! No wonder there's no convergence.

If I were installing this for just me, I'd have no problem riding the
bleeding edge and accepting the risk. But I don't want my boss showing up
at my door livid because some last-minute feature caused a bad regression.
When I install software for others to use, I want something that's been
running in the field for awhile. I don't care if it has bugs, as long as I
know what to expect. What I want is certainty, not perfection.

So please, no more features in these rc's! Just lock it down and ship it
and let people get some experience with it, so I'll know exactly what to
expect when *I* install it.