[Dovecot] 1.0.rc29 released

Frank Cusack fcusack at fcusack.com
Sat Mar 31 02:52:09 EEST 2007

On March 30, 2007 7:31:15 PM -0400 Dean Brooks <dean at iglou.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 04:05:55PM -0700, Kenneth Porter wrote:
>
>> > A few new small features and lots of index/mbox fixes. I've been
>> > heavily stress testing this release, so I think it should be about
>> > perfect. :)
>>
>> *Features*?! In an rc?! No wonder there's no convergence.
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> So please, no more features in these rc's! Just lock it down and ship it
>> and let people get some experience with it, so I'll know exactly what to
>> expect when *I* install it.
>
> I have to agree with you on this.  I'm relatively new with Dovecot and
> have been evaluating it for deployment in a production environment.  I
> must say that Dovecot has the most unusual development method of a
> large-scale project I've seen.

???

1. write code
2. release for testing
3. incorporate feedback

Doesn't seem that unusual.  It's just that "rc" is misnamed.

> There have been so many show-stopping bugs in the past 10 releases
> that I wouldn't even consider this a candidate for a Beta release
> at this point, let alone a production release.

Sure, Timo probably did screw up by wanting 1.0 to be so great and all,
and not just freezing things where they stood, but who cares?  Just stick
with 0.99 or 1.0beta8.  It's great that he releases so many "rc" versions
and so many people test them and shake out bugs.

> I'm very appreciative of all the hard-work the author(s) have put into
> this, but I think at some point they need to take a hard-look at the
> way they develop and release distributions.  It seems extremely sloppy
> and I know it's confusing to others besides myself.

It's very easy.  In the dovecot world, "rc" means "development version".
Or are you too stupid and ignorant to learn how the versioning works
for dovecot.  (Sorry, that's directed to another dovecot thread; I'm
not calling you stupid and ignorant.)

Seriously though, if you so desperately want dovecot frozen somewhere,
use 1.0beta8 or 1.0rc1 and pretend it was released as 1.0.

-frank