[Dovecot] 1.0.rc29 released

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Sat Mar 31 02:55:11 EEST 2007

--On Friday, March 30, 2007 4:41 PM -0700 Frank Cusack
<fcusack at fcusack.com> wrote:

> You are going to have to do the exact same testing from 0.99->1.0 as
> you would from 0.99->1.0rc29.  Caveat emptor with open source software;
> the responsibility is upon YOU to do your own testing.

Actually, no. A few people keep up with the latest rc's. A lot of people
will install 1.0. I try never to be the first lemming over the cliff. I
wait to hear the sounds of the others splash, to see where the rocks are.
With a proper 1.0 release, I can have high confidence in knowing what bugs
to expect before I install it. I don't have that confidence with an rc
tried by only a handful and then rapidly replaced with its successor.

Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 came out a week ago. I'm leaving it in
the "unapproved" queue for a couple weeks, maybe a month, to hear what
happens to the early adopters. I'm quite sure it will have its share of
problems, and I can live with that, as long as I have some idea of what
they are.

Note that I'm a small shop. I don't have the luxury of a parallel testing
environment like some corporation with hundreds or thousands of employees
and the IT budget to match. I rely on the experiences of other admins with
the deep pockets to do that sort of thing.

> It sounds to me like the reason you are running 0.99 is not because of
> any "rc" naming and/or lack of stability, it is because Fedora ships
> with 0.99.  So you should just wait until Fedora updates it and not
> worry about the fact that the "rc" releases are misnamed.

It's because lots of people are running this version, and it's a known
entity.

> Why do you care anyway?  (Not attacking you.)  If 0.99 works for you,
> great!

Because there are features in 1.0 I'd like to start using. But I don't want
to have to wait for tomorrow's feature's testing before I can use
yesterday's features.

Lock down 1.0 and ship it. Most people realize that a dot-oh release is
going to have bugs. Let the wider community start getting experience with
it. Don't do any more coding on this branch except bug fixes.