[Dovecot] *notify config for 1.0.x doesn't enable inotify

Paolo oopla at users.sf.net
Sat Nov 3 01:05:10 EET 2007

On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 11:49:03PM +0100, Marcus Rueckert wrote:
> > instead are defined in the single linux/inotify.h.
> >
> > Perhaps such "#include <sys/inotify-syscalls.h>" should be in inotify.h,
> > but I think those .h are older versions, since current in-kernel inotify.h
> > is just that, all in one.
>
> they old splitted headers were never meant to be used in the userspace.
> headers in /usr/include/linux/ are in general not meant for userspace
> apps.

yep, that's what docs suggest. But we need inotify.h. Do you know any
place where to take it from, other then kernel? I see little point in
placing the same file under different dir, unless there are (distro's) pkgs
that provide it - eg in Debian's 3.1 there's none, in 4.0 there's klibc which
places it under /usr/lib/klibc/; but then klibc docs say you're better off
using linux/inotify.h if avail.
So, what's the point of changing linux/inotify.h to sys/inotify.h if:
1. at best, they're just the same
2. the 1st is a standard path, the 2nd isn't (no pkgs, need to tweak by hand).

--
paolo