[Dovecot] Unit testing

Alan Ferrency alan at pair.com
Wed Nov 7 22:45:27 EET 2007

Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:

> I finally added beginnings of unit tests to Dovecot v1.1 code tree:
> http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot/rev/4e4a5d6bb2cb

Great!
Unit testing is good, even though it's boring and not very glamorous.

I wonder if you have seen or considered libtap, possibly as an optional
dependency for those who care about running the tests?

http://jc.ngo.org.uk/trac-bin/trac.cgi/wiki/LibTap

It looks like it could almost drop in, in place of some of your existing
test helpers. It is also compatible with a variety of end user test
tools. However, I could see hesitation in adding external dependencies
where they aren't really necessary.

If you had TAP compatibility through libtap or other means, I could
easily drop dovecot into our existing suite of nightly smoke tests
on FreeBSD.

> I'm probably going to be pretty lazy at adding more of those tests, so
> if you've ever wanted to get your own code to Dovecot, now would be a
> great time to do it! :)

With a 5 month old and a 4 year old on hand, "copious free time" isn't
my strong point, but I'll at least attempt to provide tests with any
future bug reports.

Thanks!
Alan Ferrency