[Dovecot] Various uidlist and index errors with 1.1 on NFS

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Nov 10 19:54:15 EET 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-06 at 15:57 -0500, Adam McDougall wrote:
> Two nights ago I took a leap and extended my testing of dovecot 1.1 by
> replacing 1.0 for the approx 15 users I had on 1.0.  At that time I also
> for the first time tried dovecot 1.1 in a load balanced 2 server configuration
> with indexes on NFS.

I hadn't actually tested this myself. Would be nice if someone gave me
access to a NFS test system, would be much easier to test and fix these
problems. :)

What OS are you using on NFS clients?

> Nov  4 23:32:23 boomhauer dovecot: IMAP(mcdouga9): Trying to close
> mailbox support.2005.01-Jan with open transactions

Probably some error handling path forgot to free the transaction. Would
be nice to know how to reproduce it.

> Nov  5 01:11:43 boomhauer dovecot: IMAP(mcdouga9): Corrupted
> transaction log
> file /home/mcdouga9/Maildir/dovecot/private/indexes/.INBOX/dovecot.index.log: Unexpected garbage at EOF

Either writing really left some partially written data there, or
attribute cache flushing doesn't work.

> Nov  6 09:12:26 boomhauer dovecot:
> IMAP(walbyjon): /home/walbyjon/Maildir/dovecot/public/control/decs/.support/dovecot-uidlist: Duplicate file entry: 1189447198.M910150P10430.hill:2,RS

Sources explain this as:

	/* This can happen if expunged file is moved back and the file
	   was appended to uidlist. */

So that would mean that readdir() skipped some files and later found
them again. But this shouldn't happen as long as Dovecot is the only one
accessing the maildir, because it locks its syncs..

> Nov  5 15:26:53 hill dovecot: IMAP(mcdouga9): file
> mail-index-sync-update.c: line 599: unreached

I replaced this crash with a nice error message. :)