[Dovecot] namespace public folders

Adam McDougall mcdouga9 at egr.msu.edu
Tue Nov 13 18:30:38 EET 2007

On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 05:03:37PM +0100, Markus Stumpf wrote:

  Hoi,

  On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 02:08:46PM +0300, Nikolay Shopik wrote:
  > My question is can I do such setup with dovecot+postfix. Im really appreciate for simple examples how can i accomplish this kind setup if it possible :)

  AFAIK the "Seen" Flag is not maintained on a per user basis.

Actually it depends.  I've found in dovecot 1.0 and 1.1, if you have a
dovecot-shared file in the public folder, it forces private flags such as
read.  The wiki has some information about dovecot-shared.

  I do the delivery to the public folders via the "aliases" mechanism and
  the "safecat" program <http://jeenyus.net/~budney/linux/software/safecat.html>
  which delivers messages from stdin to a Maildir specified on the cmdline.
  Along with the safecat comes a "maildir" sh-script that is a wrapper for
  safecat and makes things shorter.

      info: "|/usr/local/bin/maildir /var/spool/pubfolders/.info"
      contact: "|/usr/local/bin/maildir /var/spool/pubfolders/.info"
      sales: "|/usr/local/bin/maildir /var/spool/pubfolders/.sales"

  To work around permission problems I have made the safecat programm
  setuid dovecot user, executable for owner and group and gave it to the group
  postfix handles aliases deliveries with, e.g.:
      ---s--x--- 1 dovecotu mail 21024 Oct 19 14:26 /usr/local/bin/safecat

  HTH,
      \Maex

  --
  Markus Stumpf