[Dovecot] Using Dovecot as Asterisk PBX voicemail server

Uldis Pakuls neko at it4u.lv
Tue Nov 13 23:06:44 EET 2007

Kenneth Porter wrote:
> I'm wondering how one would set up auth for this? Asterisk needs to
> log in to the account to deliver the voicemail and to check its state,
> but I wouldn't want to put everyone's mail password in plaintext in
> Asterisk's voicemail.conf file.
Not sure, but have you tried to use pre-encrypted password like
"{HMAC-MD5}asfgasf7a9s6 f865sf..." ? Dovecot supports encrypted passwords.
> Would I set up a separate IMAP account for each user to hold their
> voicemail, and use simple passwords (such as the PIN they use for
> phone access to voicemail) in the Asterisk config? Or is there a way
> to set up Dovecot to allow a second user to login to a specific IMAP
> folder in all accounts, in the same way the local delivery agent has
> write access to all users' mailbox?
I think shared folders and virtual user setup is right choise here. Set
up virtual users sharing one real uid (to easy avoid any access rigthts
problems). Share their "Voicemail" folders for "Asterick-deliver-user".
Deliver messages to appropriate shared folder in
"Asterick-deliver-users" account. Sharing folders for such virtual users
can be easy done using symlinks/ hardliks as they all share one real
system uid.

Uldis