[Dovecot] New full text search indexer

Adam McDougall mcdouga9 at egr.msu.edu
Wed Nov 14 17:20:09 EET 2007

On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 12:07:15AM +0900, Asheesh Laroia wrote:

  On Wed, 14 Nov 2007, Daniel Watts wrote:

>> Timo - we were just having a conversation about how we might be able to
>> provide full body indexed search for our clients and I realised it might
>> be worth checking the Dovecot list to see if this has been done already...
>>
>> And then I find this thread!
>>
>> What is the latest? Searches in the headers work fantastically but any
>> search in a sizeable folder (1000's messages) often just time out.

  FWIW in 1.1beta releases, you can enable the "squat" plugin and get
  full-text indexed search already.

  Timo's working on improvements, as you can see, and a replacement, but
  don't forget that Squat is real and pretty fast.

  To enable it, do:

  1. In the "protocol imap {" section of the config, add this line to the
  end:

  	 mail_plugins = fts fts_squat

  Do that just before the close curly brace.

  2. If you have a "plugin {" section of the dovecot.conf, do 2(a).
  Otherwise, do 2(b).

  2a. In the "plugin {" section, add this line to the end:

    fts = squat

  2b. At the end of the file, write this:

    plugin {
        fts = squat
    }

  That should be all!  SEARCH TEXT will be, shall we say, accelerated. (Note
  that indexes have to be generated sometime, so the way things are now
  they're generated at the first SEARCH TEXT.)

  -- Asheesh.

Thanks for this list of steps, I've been intending to test it and was just about
getting ready to ask the same question.  Your email would be mice content to
throw on the dovecot wiki under fts (currently empty)