[Dovecot] Mail.app IDLE support

Martin R. Ehmsen martin at ehmsen.org
Wed Nov 14 20:26:54 EET 2007

On 14/11/2007, at 13.13, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-11-14 at 13:05 -0500, Martin R. Ehmsen wrote:
>> I'm trying to use the new IDLE support in Mail.app on Mac OS 10.5,
>> and
>> it works sort of, but it seems to miss some notifications.
>> My guess is the IDLE support in Mail.app is implemented such that it
>> sets up a connection for IDLE notifications and then checks the mail
>> via another connection, and because of that the "IDLE-connection"
>> gets
>> disconnected for inactivity after 30 min. The reason for my guess is
>> that I get the following in my logs:
> ..
>> dovecot: Nov 14 17:43:29 Info: IMAP(amanda): Disconnected for
>> inactivity
>>
>> Is there something I can do about this problem? Is the IDLE
>> implementation in the 1.1 branch different from the implementation in
>> the 1.0 branch of dovecot?
>
> Yes, it's different there. In v1.1 it never actually disconnects for
> inactivity. It sends "Still here" notifications every 2 minutes, so if
> the connection is really dead those sends should cause Dovecot to
> notice
> the disconnection.
>
> But is disconnection the real problem? I changed IDLE a bit also in
> v1.0.6:
>
> 	* IDLE: Interval between mailbox change notifies is now 1 second,
> 	  because some clients keep a long-running IDLE connection and use
> 	  other connections to actually read the mails.

I'm not sure that it is disconnections that is the real problem, that
was just what I figured from the above log.
Is there some way to get more verbose output in the logs that could
help debug my problem? (the only verbose options are for auth and ssl,
and no options seems to apply under the log section of the config file).
I'm using v. 1.0.7, but I guess I could try the 1.1 branch even though
it is in beta :-)

Martin