[Dovecot] Limiting the size of index files

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Nov 15 09:36:50 EET 2007

On 15.11.2007, at 9.24, Steffen Kaiser wrote:

>> You could always just delete some of them manually. I guess it
>> would be possible to make it drop data more aggressively. I'll add
>> in my TODO.
>
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/Maildir
> "Dovecot stores keywords in the maildir filename's flags field
> using letters a..z. This means that only 26 keywords are possible
> to store in the maildir. If more are used, they're still stored in
> Dovecot's index files."
>
> To "just delete" index files may mean that information is lost, too.
> I don't remember if there are data storred in the index files only.
>
> Wouldn't it better to make index files just that "index files", and
> move other information into "control" files? You've designed
> Dovecot to have separate index and control files already.

That was the plan, Maildir keywords are the only exception. I was
also thinking about changing that some day so that it's not possible
to set more than 26 keywords with maildir. I think this is currently
pretty much a nonissue because keyword support is pretty bad with
most IMAP clients and no-one has more than maybe 10 different keywords.

Anyway, by "just delete them" I meant dovecot.index.cache files, not
the others. :)