[Dovecot] SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) with antispam plugin

Johannes Berg johannes at sipsolutions.net
Sun Nov 18 15:12:44 EET 2007

Hi,

> I have created another backend, which executes "sa-learn" from
> spamassassin's arsenal. The backend is modeled after sendmail
> backend.

Neat. Send me the file or a patch and I'll integrate it.

> But I can't seem to get the plugin working wit either my backend or
> signature-log.
>
> This is my ".config":
> DOVECOT=/usr/src/dovecot-1.0.7
> DOVECOT_VERSION=1.0
> BACKEND=spamassassin-exec
> INSTALLDIR=/usr/lib/dovecot/modules/imap/
> PLUGINNAME=antispam

That looks right.

> Since Ubuntu server does not come with dovecot sources, I have
> downloaded dovecot-1.0.7 and put it in /usr/src. As far as I
> understand, only the headers are needed, so this should not be the
> cause of the crash (if the headers hadn't changed).
>
> When invoked from dovecot process, the "imap" dies with signal 11.
>
> When running:
> strace /usr/sbin/dovecot --exec-mail imap

> stat64("/etc/localtime", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=696, ...}) = 0
> --- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) @ 0 (0) ---
> +++ killed by SIGSEGV +++
> Process 4707 detached

strace is pretty useless for a segfault. Can you compile everything or
at least the plugin with -g and run it in gdb? I've never had the plugin
segfault on me, maybe your plugin's init code is bad? There are also a
bunch of permission errors that may be causing it.

> antispam plugin was downloaded
> from:http://git.sipsolutions.net/?p=dovecot-antispam.git;a=snapshot;h=HEAD;sf=tgz

That should be good :)

johannes