[Dovecot] imap process consuming 100% CPU (Dovecot 1.0.3)

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Nov 20 04:52:43 EET 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 16:12 -0500, Stewart Dean wrote:
> I think I'm seeing this with TBird and 1.0.7...with my own account!  It
> may even be a Tbird problem.
> I have a 4way mail server, so when I get 25%, it's 100% of one
> processor. I tried killing the imap process on the server and  it can
> back at 9% and climbed quickly back up to 25%.  It wasn't until I
> shutdown my TBird session that a clean imap session was established.

You could truss the process or do something else to find out what
Thunderbird and Dovecot are talking to each others. If shutting down
Thunderbird dropped the load, it sounds like a bug in Thunderbird. Some
clients have been known to keep requesting same data over and over again
from the server in some situations. If I could see what the IMAP traffic
looks like, I might be able to add a workaround to it.