[Dovecot] Broken system.

Marcelo Iturbe marcelo.iturbe at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 15:06:22 EET 2007

Hello,
I had an Inbox with 975,604 emails on ext3 filesystem.
I keept getting dropped on the comand "copy 1:2000 inbox2", the syslog gave
me an error message indicating "out of memory" problems.
This despite the fact that the server has 800MB of ram free.

Anyways, I asked if I could manuanlly move the files at the filesystem level
or if that would mess up dovecot (break the GUIDs etc).
I was informed that dovecot does not use GUIDs and that I could go ahead and
move the emails at the shell level.

So I did that, now the /cur folder only has 40,000 emails, but when I
connect to the account via telnet, I still get the following:

telnet localhost 143
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK Dovecot ready.
110 login somelameuser somelamepass
110 OK Logged in.
111 select inbox
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft \*)] Flags
permitted.
* 975604 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* OK [UNSEEN 1] First unseen.
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1188426666] UIDs valid
* OK [UIDNEXT 979500] Predicted next UID
111 OK [READ-WRITE] Select completed.

So even though there are only 40,000 emails in /cur, dovecot still thinks
that there are 9756304 emails.

How can I fix this?

Thanks
Marcelo